Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I Wish I Had Time....

I wish I had time to do all the things I want to do. If I had the time, what would I do? In no particular order: can fruits and vegetables during the week, travel to Detroit, Phoenix, and Harrogate, England to see my children and grandchildren, organize my house and my office, volunteer in organizations I have an interest in (like I used to do before I went back to work in the mid 90s), take some on-line courses in my professional field to expand my knowledge base, vacation in the Outer Banks, focus more on my personal life than on my professional life, learn to knit and crochet, make another quilt (or sewing projects I'm interested in). I see a common denominator in much of what I want to do - work gets in the way. Oh well, I guess I won't have a lot of time for the next few years until I stop working. I guess I'll try to focus on one thing at a time, and eventually I might find the time to do the things I want to do, and not focus so much of the things I don't want to do.

11 comments:

  1. So, it doesn't get any easier once your kids are out of the house? Darn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things I wish I had time to do: exercise, browse while shopping, eat my food at a leisurely pace, shower...

    BTW-You could always come home just one hour earlier and get some more time to do all of those things. You only live once...

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH, I say that next summer we do a beach vacation. You might have to settle for Delaware, though. I don't think I can survive a car ride to NC from MI with these crazy men!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, sounds like we both want to do many of the same things! Sad how work gets in the way, isn't it? I really think we have it backwards. We should work until we're 30, retire until we're 55 or so and then go back to work part time at something we love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with you Donna - something is very wrong with the way we live and work - about the time we are ready to retire, the ailments are creeping in and you have to make all kinds of adjustments. And Denise, I don't think I can take Delaware Beaches - we'll have to figure this out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess that is a good thing about being a teacher. We have a short time to forget about work and do other things. The down side is once the school year starts you can never be caught up, there is always a lot to do. In the spirit of your blog post, let's do lunch some time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cindy - let's set a date when you get back, and I'll even take the day off! Off to Detroit July 29-Aug 2 -otherwise, I'm in town.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you coming to Harrogate? I know you mentioned that, but not sure if you have the time. PS, if we do the beach next summer, we can take home leave then instead of at Christmas, It would be loads of fun.
    D ~ what if we all chipped in to find a good deal on flights to NC?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I understand how you feel. I wish I had more time. I want to do so much more volunteering but there just isn't enough time. I can't wait to retire myself. I am so glad to have your blog to keep up with you. Luv and hugs, Sue

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well Delaware sounds good or even oceancity. You could fly here Denise and drive with us then it wouldn't be such a long trip. I am sure Helen will come around one of these days. Actually It would be nice to have time off from work but maybe in a couple years. Then I could do things I want to do to we could move nearer our children maybe get an apt in each city and then spend 1/3 year in each city that would be great. Hmmm I just thought about that keep life interesting you know and always have the next trip to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete