Saturday, August 8, 2009

Ramblings from a Busy Person

Last time I wrote something, I was noting how busy life is, and since that post in July, my observations have proved to be correct. I flew to Detroit for five days to try to help Denise while they are in the process of moving (I did pack a couple of boxes, and got to spend time with Jackson, Luke and Grant), but I wish I could have been more helpful. Then I returned to work and have been dealing with lots of family tragedies with some of our staff - the death of a spouse (not unexpected but the future for the family is full of unknowns) and a family dealing with one income and suddenly, because of some past issues with their car, needing to come up with $1,000+ to get their car out of the impound lot - we were concerned that the staff member was on the verge of a breakdown. A term I really don't care for (because I first heard it from a member of a political party I'm not affiliated with), "It's takes a village", proved true for this staff member. Due to the generosity of fellow staff members, a collection was taken and this, together with a loan from a family member, enabled the family to get their car back. It was interesting to see how quickly life can change in an instant - the finality of death, and the unknown economic future we all face in these trying times.

So, today I decided to try to get some projects done I've been meaning to tackle over the past several months. The door bell rang twice this morning - one visitor brought me bushel of peaches and another visitor brought me a bag of tomatoes. I guess I'll be canning today instead of working on those other projects. It seems as if I'm destined to be busy for awhile longer. And wouldn't you know it - today the outside temperature will go up again and we will, once again, be hot and humid - just in time to heat up the kitchen while I'm canning. And I still have to plan a lesson for my Sunday School class. In the words of an advertising campaign from long ago, "Calgon, take me away"

3 comments:

  1. what happened with the electricity at bowie? Very sad about the family with the death. I hope they continue to get the support they need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think you used a quote that someone from a political party that you don't agree with used a while back..."It takes a village..." :0)

    We are so glad that you came and had it not been for you, I would still be at that house packing. As of today, we have only a Christmas tree and the w/d at the old place. I'd say that is quite an accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You certainly are a busy woman! How bout taking a day for "Helen". Maybe, just maybe you need to do that for yourself! It would do you a world of good. Sounds like you were a big help to Denise! Take care, my sister...Luv and hugs...Sue

    ReplyDelete