Saturday, August 15, 2009

Does Anyone Remember Why This Country Was Created?

There's so much debate over the new healthcare proposals currently making the national circuit. People are for the proposals, people are against the proposals, some people listen quietly at town hall meetings, some people are loudly vocal at town hall meetings in their opposition to what is being discussed. Quite frankly, while I do agree that some reforms need to be developed, I think we are moving too fast with these reforms. I don't think that the members of the House and Senate know exactly what reforms are in the proposals on any given day. I find it most fascinating that at the town hall meetings which are disruptive, those people who are willing to make their voices heard are now criticized by the opposition - they must be influenced by organized protestors, they don't know all the facts, they can't think for themselves. Wait a minute - what happened to freedom of speech? Just because you don't agree with proposed new reforms, when did you lose your right voice your opposition, and, if you do disagree with the new proposals, why can't you form your own opinion about the proposals? It seems the opposition thinks that you can't possibly have formed a valid opinion on your own - you must have been swayed by others. Wasn't this country founded by people who were vocal enough to express their concerns and willing to fight to develop a new country where freedom of speech was essential in the new country's development?

I think we all need to take a step back and have meaningful discourse on these reforms. We need to listen to all viewpoints - isn't it possible that some creative ideas might come forth from these discussions, and maybe we could all support a healthcare reform system that works for everyone - not just the special interest groups that our politicians are trying to appease.

6 comments:

  1. I was going to write, "Amen" but I see that is taken. Let me just say that you have been expressing thoughts that I have been having. These town hall meetings seem more from the people than any kind of protest I remember in the recent past. And I would love to hear your opinion on what you think is needed. As part of the health care industry I value your input.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. A big part of why our country began was to keep government out of our lives. It seems to be more and more involved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been paying much attention lately, as I've been a bit busy. I may not know what you are talking about, however, if people being dragged out of meetings for being disruptive is the question, I think this has been going on for as long as I have paid attention to politics.

    I think people should express their thoughts, but in better ways than screaming.

    I don't know who is blaming the people for not coming up with their own thoughts on the subject but it seems to me that that is what both sides say all of the time. I think during the last election people blamed the media for Obama's popularity. Another example of saying that others can't think for themselves.

    Thanks for giving me a break from packing and being sick. Now, back to the grind...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't keep it all straight....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here is the link to the congressional official summary

    http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h3200/show
    you can also down load the entire bill there too, if your interested.

    ReplyDelete