Saturday, July 4, 2009

Independence Day

Perfect weather - in the low 80s, no humidity, a cool breeze - I don't remember such a nice July 4th as today has been. Morning began with the annual flag raising and breakfast at church, and then the annual Kelley cookout. I was going to can some more strawberry jam today, but after being in the kitchen all day yesterday doing the same thing, I decided to take a break. I'll get back to canning tomorrow before church.

Today is a day to extend our gratitude for all those men and women in the Armed Forces who have/are/or continue to protect our country. The sacrifices they make for all of us so we can live in this free country are too numerous to count. I'm glad to know I live in a place where these people are willing to put their lives on the line to defend our freedoms.

While we all enjoy ourselves today, let us remember those good and decent people and say a prayer for their safe return from harm's way.

5 comments:

  1. A wonderful reminder. I sure missed my first 4th away. I think this is the first in at least 8 years that I've missed the Kelley celebration or at least a few pops of the U of MD fireworks. I was thinking about everyone today. I'll bet Karen was even there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a bbq too. Dan was here so we got to celebrate with a soldier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all of your help, as usual. I'm beginning to think I can't have a function without your help. I'm adding your site to my list today so I can keep track of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to work but glad you got to enjoy the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yaaay! So glad you started the blog, Helen. I think you and I are going to have to start going to church things together since we're both "solo" now. I didn't know you bottled jam. Very very cool!!!

    ReplyDelete