Sunday, February 7, 2010

Bearing Witness to the Blizzard of 2010




We'd been warned about the upcoming storm for almost a week, but living in the DC Metropolitan area, sometimes we get complacent about the snow predictions - not this time. The storm was coming from the south and we DC natives know what that means - we can really get slammed by a storm from the south and guess what? This storm was no different. The snow began to fall on Friday, February 5th about 2:00 p.m in Bowie, Maryland where I work. I finally left work around 6:30 and realized that the road conditions were such that I would have to drive a lot slower than usual (25 mph, if that). My normal 25 minutes drive home took more than an hour, and the only time I had a problem was when I turned onto the side street to get to my garage - a little slipping and sliding before safety arriving in my driveway.

Once inside, Peter and I hunkered down for the duration. The storm was predicted to last through 10:00 p.m. on Saturday, February 6th, and we were anticipating about 2 feet of snow. Around 10:30, Peter decided to rev up the snowblower for the first of what would be five or six times over the course of the next 24 hours. At this point, it looked as if at least 10" of snow had fallen. We had an earlier snowfall that week, and we got about 6", but the snow was light and easy to plow through. The snow was heavy and taxing on the snowblower. Our next door neighbor was out shoveling his sidewalk as well. Peter told him not to shovel in the morning and that he would use the snowblower on his sidewalk in the morning.

A little after 11:00 p.m. the satelite dish was covered with snow and we lost TV service. It wasn't restored until Sunday morning, February 7th, once the sun was out and melting the snow off the dish. We listened to the radio through the computer as well as the radio in our bedroom, to try to keep abreast of what the weather conditions were and if the forecast was changing. It wasn't, except that through all indications, we might be getting more snow than originally forecast. We ended up with 30" in our area.

Due to the impending snowstorm, we received notice that church was being canceled (the decision was made on Friday). Sunday, February 6th began as a beautiful day, with vivid blue skies, and we ventured out to document the effects of this storm. A beautiful crape myrtle, in the front of our house, was badly damaged by the weight of the snow. A magnolia tree in our back yard was lost as well. We began walking the streets and taking photographs of the snow and its impact on our neighborhood. As you can see, we did get a lot of snow.
I'm not going to jinx myself so I'm only posting 3 photos. Since this is the first time I've posted photos to my blog, I'll have to learn the ins and outs of photo positioning in feature posts. Despite the amount, it was a beautiful snowfall. Now, are we really getting another storm on Tuesday, February 9th?

8 comments:

  1. It looks so pretty. I think there must have been more when you were pregnant with Kim. Look at the book I made for you and judge for yourself. I have always thought that our neighbor last year who plowed through our sidewalk at least 10 times was Karma for Dad plowing everyone's walks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It look beautiful, hope you got to work ok. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good grief... that looks like Utah! LOL. It is beautiful isn't it. I'm ready for Spring myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it looks great! Too bad about the trees though...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes this snow is tough and look forward to another foot or two today. I will go to work this morning. Hopefully the next storm will hold off until I get home. We are blessed to have electricity and heat as so many don't. Helens' great chilli and cornbread and we are well stocked with food. Although maybe I could have done with a little less. It is a beautifull scene but very tough for many. It was great to walk to Nicholson St. and see a few old friends out. Eveyone was walking and digging out. Very few drivers it was like everyone had to learn to do with out their cars. Well bring on the next storm......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you ready for this to happen again?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa, I wish I could saw we were ready. It looks like we got another foot of snow today, and it is now 1:00 p.m. on the 10th and the snow seems to have finally stopped. The wind is the problem at the moment. I'll try to post some pictures of this latest blast of Mother Nature.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It has been quite an adventure, hasn't it? We've enjoyed most of it and I've been getting a lot of exercise helping Cal with the shoveling.

    ReplyDelete