Thursday, February 11, 2010

Bearing Witness to the Blizzard of 2010-Part II

So early in the evening on February 9th, the snow began again and continued through much of the day on the 10th and then the winds arrived. We were in blizzard conditions and ended up with an additional 12" of snow on top of the 30" we had received five days earlier. This is a picture I took during the storm looking out of our front door.

This is a view of the driveway of my car and Jimmy's car during the storm (taken from of the den window). Note: we did not clear off Jimmy's car after the weekend storm, but we had cleaned off mine, so you can see how much snow we received on Wednesday. My car is on the left side of the picture. Once the snow started, it began sticking immediately and accumulated very quickly.

Thursday we awoke to a glorious sunny day, and I decided to brave the elements (the wind was still blowing a little) and take some pictures. This is our backyard. If you look on the snow slightly to the right of the tree on the right side of the picture, you can see a twig from the rose bush that is now buried in snow.

I went upstairs to get a sweater and noticed the snow accumulation in the alcove outside one of the windows in Kim's old room. Yes, we did get a lot of snow.

This has been an incredible year for snow, and we've heard a rumor that we might be getting more early next week (it's just a clipper, the weathermen are saying; it should only be a couple of inches). That's what they said about yesterday's storm. Schools have been closed all week, and there's a holiday on Monday in honor of Presidents Washington and Lincoln. At the rate we are going, the children may be going to school through most of June. I recall a similar storm in 1979, when I was pregnant with Kim and the kids missed two weeks of school. Keeping our fingers crossed that we've seen the last of winter's calling card for this year. Another note: with the help of a good friend, I was able to place these photos where I wanted them. Hey, this publishing thing isn't too complicated, now is it?



4 comments:

  1. No, it's not too hard. Although, I thought you were going to get help from me! Anyway, that alcove picture is pretty impressive. We have about 1/3 of what you have and things continue to roll here. I hope you guys don't have too much flooding during the thawing process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures. Now we need to find out how to save posts to a cd or dvd so they will be kind of a journal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is crazy! I'll bet it was nice to be home for awhile, but I imagine you were ready to get out of the house by the time the roads were cleared.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what photos! You certainly got more than we did and this last snow missed us thank goodness we still have lots of snow on the ground and I am so tired ot the "white stuff"! Can not wait til spring.

    ReplyDelete