Sunday, January 24, 2010

Friends

It's been awhile since I posted something, and I have a lot of things to say, but I'll focus on one topic today. I should be cooking something right now, but before I begin that process, I thought I'd post something about friendship.

I was out of the country for a couple of weeks at the beginning of January. No cell phones, no Internet (as the charge for using it on the ship was ridiculously high), very little news to speak of (this coming from someone who tries to stay on top of all the current events that are available); I was feeling a little out of touch with my world and the world around me. I did get to spend time with one of my daughters, her husband, our 18 month old granddaughter, and my son-in-law's parents. As we don't get to see this daughter very often, it was fun to see her everyday over the 12 days we were away. Getting reaquainted with Anna, our granddaughter, was fun as well. She is quite the little trooper, handling the various tours we were on at the different ports we visited with very little trauma. I was amazed at how well she did (especially since she wasn't on her normal schedule back at home).

Anyway, today a church, one of my friends gave a talk about charity and service. It was so well written and presented, and brought a lot of tears to those of us who listened to her heartfelt words. I have known this person since she was a child, and she has grown up into a fabulous young woman (mother of four), and I treasure our friendship. She has a wonderful sense of humor but, at the same time, is a very caring and compassionate person. It's fun to watch her raise her family and even though we don't get to see each other very often, she is a great role model for those around her.

Yesterday I attended a baby shower for a dear friend's daughter. She is expecting her first child in the next several weeks and I don't think I've ever been to a bigger baby shower in my life. She was showered with all sorts of baby gifts and will probably be writing thank you notes for the next six months. Again, I was able to spend time with some very dear friends. Even though we don't get together that often, when we are together, it's like we were just with one another yesterday. We can joke and laugh, be serious and circumspect, all in the same visit. These friends have been in my life for the past 32 years and I couldn't have raised my family without them around. These are truly wonderful relationships and ones I couldn't imagine not having in my life.

My last comment on friends is about a very dear friend at church. She is solid as a rock, willing to help anyone with anything that they need help with. She, too, has a wonderful sense of humor, and her powers of observation are amazing. She gave me a Christmas gift today and it means so much to me. Thirty-one years ago we were pregnant together and our friendship has grown over that time. She is someone I count on to be there, and I know she will be, no matter what happens. She, too, is a treasured friend.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we shouldn't take our friends for granted, and we shouldn't be afraid to tell them what they mean in our lives. With all the tragedy and sorrow in the world today, these friendships are the ties that bind. It doesn't matter if you see your friends everyday or not; these relationships are what make us strong and capable of facing whatever life's journey might throw at us. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have these special people in my life. I am truly blessed.

5 comments:

  1. What a touching post. I am so thankful that you are my friend. I'm sure the reason you have so many good friends is because you are such a good friend. And we all love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is such a gift from the Lord, friendship! If not for friendship we would find it so difficult to get through the hard times in our lives but also we would not have them to celebrate the joys either! Thank you Helen for not only being my friend but also my "sister". Love you. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are lucky that you get to see those AMAZING women as often as you do. You will have to tell me about Gina's shower. I wish I could've gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is all so true. Without good friends around, the good times are not as good and the bad times are a lot harder to handle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet post. :) You are right. Friends are so important. As is being a good friend. You have given me much to ponder. :)

    ReplyDelete