Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Lights, Camera, Action

Just realizing how long it's been since I last posted. A couple of Saturdays ago I had a very unique experience. I work at a freestanding emergency department and ambulatory surgery center. A local producer contacted me to inquire about the possibility of using the surgery center for an independent film he is producing. I have worked with this producer before on a couple of projects celebrating the 25th and 30th anniversary of our center. I gave him permission to film on a Saturday and I asked the department manager of the surgery center to help out on the day of the shoot. Boy am I glad I did that. She was able to find things quickly that they asked for - I would never have known what some of the supplies were that they needed.

It was an interesting experience - I never realized how much stop and go there is to filmmaking. At some point the director asked my friend (who was dressed in her scrubs) to walk in the background while he was taping a shot. Next thing I knew, our security guard was walking in the background like he was doing his rounds. Finally, the producer asked me to sit at the front desk and greet the patient as she arrived for her procedure. Then he asked my friend to play the part of an anesthesiologist. Here we are - the nurse manager, security guard and myself all of a sudden being included in the filming. Of course, the professional actors were the ones used mainly, but we got a kick out of the whole process. It took all day to film (and from what I could tell there was additional filming in other parts of the city as well).

A couple of weeks later I received an email from the producer. He needed to return to do a couple of audio shots. Lo and behold he invites us all to his house for the premier of his film and it appears we didn't end up on the cutting room floor. It should be fun to see the final project and I hope it's successful for him. He has won a couple of Emmys from some of his other independent films but I can't wait to see how this film turns out.

I never thought I'd be in this situation and I have much more respect for all the actors and actresses out there (Kage among them) for their profession and what they have to do in order to make a living. Most of the cast were very down to earth, however there were a couple of people who really thought highly of themselves. It takes all kinds I guess. I wonder what my next adventure will be.....

3 comments:

  1. Cool! I think this dude was trying to get some free acting. Where is your cash?!

    As for the beach, we shall see. That is a 15 hour drive for us. If/when we do go, I think we should get something closer to the beach...the house we stayed in with Kim G. was good. Anyway, I'm hoping that Jimmy and I can go away together sometime next summer. We will just need to find some babysitters...hint, hint. Also, we are thinking about getting together with Robin and her family. It will be a long drive that way, too. So we shall see how Grant is doing by that time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is pretty awesome! Life is nothing if not adventurous. Ha ha... and I love Denise's comment/hint... ;)

    ReplyDelete