Saturday, June 12, 2010

Death and Brownies

I recently attended the funeral of a kind and gentle man from our ward. He always had a smile on his face. His dear wife died about four years ago, and following her death and because of his declining health, he began living at the Veteran’s Housing Facility in DC. Practically every week, he was visited by members of our ward and given the Sacrament during these visits. Occasionally one of his children would bring him to our Sacrament service. He always came the Sunday before Memorial Day, as he was a WWII veteran and a very proud patriot. He was probably the most patriotic person I ever knew. He always wore an American flag pin on his lapel.

This year, one week before Memorial Day Sunday, a number of ward members were all thinking the same thing – that we would see Walter Johnson, Sr. the following week at church. Very late that evening, I was on Facebook and I saw a post from our bishop, indicating that Walter had died earlier that evening. He died on the anniversary of his dear wife’s birthday. How fitting that they would reunite on such a special day.

His children decided that it would be appropriate to hold his funeral service as close to Memorial Day as possible. Two days following Memorial Day his service was held. The service was a fitting tribute to this wonderful man. So many wonderful things were said about him and his family during the service.

Following the service, there was a reception in the Cultural Hall. The family provided food for the attendees, of which there was close to 100. Here’s where the brownies come in. I really don’t like brownies, but there was this particular dessert which looked like a brownie with a Hershey’s kiss on top. I tried one and was amazed at the taste. Remember, I don’t like brownies. I had to have another one. I asked one of Walter’s daughter-in-laws if she had made the dessert. She indicated she hadn’t, but pointed me in the direction of her sister-in-law who did make them. I told her how much I enjoyed the treats and she told me how to make them. One of Walter’s four sons, married to the woman who made this delicious treats, agreed with me about how great they tasted. He also said Walter really enjoyed them.

In honor of Walter and these delicious brownies, I’m sharing the recipe – hope you enjoy these.


Brownie Bites

1 – Duncan Hines Family Style Dark Chocolate Fudge Brownie Mix
3 eggs
¼ cup water
½ cup vegetable oil

Dark Chocolate Hershey Kisses (you only need one bag)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease miniature cupcake pans with non stick cooking spray. Combine brownie mix, eggs, water and oil. Mix until well blended. Spoon mix into prepared pan (1/2 full). Bake for 10 minutes. Immediately upon removing from oven, place 1 Hershey’s Kiss on top of mini-cupcake. Remove cupcakes from pan and place on a wire rack until completely cooled.

6 comments:

  1. I have always felt thankful that I got to be Esther's visiting teacher. I loved being able to visit them and planning/bringing dinners for them after she got sick. It was so nice to visit with him in the hospital too. He would get so excited to have Jackson there. I have and will continue to miss them both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for posting that. I loved the Johnsons and I am glad that they are together again. Also, the brownies look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a brownie fan either so I will try these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. God bless the Johnsons. When my grandpa died, it was comforting to me to know that he was rejoining his dear sweet wife.

    And I definitely want to try that recipe! I love brownies... so I am sure I will love these too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post. I forwarded it to the Johnson Family and they were very appreciative. Now about the brownies. I'm going to wait a little while before I go on a brownie binge but I will keep this recipe. It looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to thank the Johnsons for my FIRST sip of Dr Pepper when I was 5 or so. I remember that experience clearly. And that soda has been my favorite temptation since. I love that family and miss hearing Esther's singing voice and seeing Walter as Santa at the Christmas parties.

    ReplyDelete