Saturday, April 17, 2010

Now That I Have Some Free Time, I Guess I'll Post Something.....

I recently turned 60 and things have gone downhill since that day. Just kidding - we had a birthday celebration with lots of close friends and it was catered by The Omelette Man who created made-to-order omelettes for the guests, and served up crepes for dessert. Everyone had a great time, and it was so nice not to have to worry about food preparation. It did this for my 50th birthday also. Now, I'm not promising the same thing for the big 70.

Yesterday (April 16) I celebrated the day after filing our 2009 tax return (of which we paid Uncle Sam a pretty penny) by having knee surgery. Alas, there appears to be more damage than we previously thought and that may necessitate further surgery down the road (but as far as I'm concerned it will be way down the road). Anyway, I'll discuss that with the doctor on my visit with him Thursday. I'll be home for a month and have plans to catch up on some projects - cleaning, jigsaw puzzles, sewing, reading, just to name a few. All in good time - I need to spend some time recovering and I plan on taking it easy before I tackle those lofty goals.

I had another goal, which I'm not sure I'll attempt right now, but maybe in the near future. I have two collections - penguins and cookbooks. I have over 125 cookbooks and find I'm always interested in perusing new ones at they are published. I recently bought The Pioneer Woman's Cookbook and Worldwide Ward Cookbook. And then I looked in my pantry, which is full of various food stuffs (cans, boxes, bottles, etc). Then I had this epihany. Using the vast number of cookbooks I have, I should be able to create some glorious recipes from the things already in my pantry. So, at some point, I'll be putting the cookbooks to the test. I'm not making promises on when this will happen, but just the idea of it is quite intriguing to me. We have far too much food in the pantry for a family of two. Maybe I can start in a few weeks when Kim and her family arrive from England for a visit. Kim, if you are reading this, make sure you let me know if there is something you don't like to eat (although you have always been the best eater of my three daughters - willing to try most things put in front of you.

Hope this post makes sense -these pain pills haven't helped me on my usually perfect spelling. So, forgive me readers if you catch a misspelling. Only one more day of heavy pain meds and then I'll be back to normal.

4 comments:

  1. If I have myself really together I usually look through my freezer and pantry prior to planning my meals for the month and use those ingredients to decide what to make. THEN, I make my shopping list and I end up spending a lot less. Of course, we don't have a hard time using the food in our pantry, it only takes a couple of weeks for us to be very low on supplies...

    Maybe you should think about the extra surgery sooner rather than later. Get it out of the way and then you may feel up to your old self, doing more active things.

    Stop apologizing for the spelling. I only noticed one thing. That is pretty good for someone who is all doped up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad your surgery went well. Sorry that it was worse than expected. The cooking sounds like a fun idea. I am pretty open to things but I am eating healthier as I have started that good mood diet. So as long as there is plenty of vegetables and a fruit for dinner what ever you make will be fabulous. As for Drew's graduation, Outback seems to be the request.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I posted a comment a couple of days ago and it didn't post...so I will try again! I share your love of cookbooks. I have the Pioneer Woman and have my eye on the ward cookbook. I have the Christmas Ward cookbook and it is fab! There is nothing like curling up with a cookbook! I hope you heal quickly and "enjoy" your recuperating time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you're recovering well from your surgery. I could do without the pain and the cleaning, and I'm not so good at the sewing, but the reading, cooking and puzzles sound great!

    ReplyDelete