Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I Love a Parade






Today is the annual City of Hyattsville Parade. It's the 124th anniverary of the founding of our city. You never know what the weather will be and today the rain began the spit a little about the time the parade started. It's an election year and a lot of the politicians who are running for office in our county are in the parade, shaking hands with the city residents and passing out their flyers.

What is the coolest thing about this parade? It comes down the street, right in front of our house! Politicians, local city officials (the mayor and members of the city council), county officials (House of Delegate representatives, Maryland General Assembly members and Registrar of Wills [that's an interesting job]), civic groups and matching bands, just to name a few.

In honor of my children who were not able to attend this parade this year, I took quite a few pictures so they could get the flavor of the parade. In past years as they were growing up, some of them were in the parade at various times.
Mounted Police and the flags

Here's the Greenbelt Dog Training group who are regulars in the parade.
Waiting for the parade to start up again.
Check out the big dog on the roof of the car
Northwestern High School Marching Band - this band has grown into a very successful high school marching band (more polished than when my children were in high school and they are always fun to watch.


Here come the drummers!

Of course, we have our fire trucks and ambulances, police cars and garbage trucks represented. Our police force even has police personnel in the parade on their Segways! We always have a military presence and the Junior ROTC represented. McGruff the Dog is also a participant.


As you can see, we have a large group of classic cars every year. This year, some of the residents wanted to have a Prius car entry, but they apparently couldn't get their act together to get enough vehicles to participate - maybe next year.
This is our Mayor, Bill Gardiner.

A local Harley Davidson Motorcyle Group - this crew was really noisy.
Here's the Hyattsville Mount Rainier and Brentwood Boys and Girls Club.

This year there is a 3 day festival with a carnival at Magruder Park. Normally, I would walk down to the park and get my favorite funnel cake as a treat. Alas, that is not happening this year (but I will say there has been one benefit to the knee surgery - I've lost 8 lbs- so much for the funnel cake).

Of course, it is one week past my knee surgery so I was sitting on my front porch, not at the end of the walk where I normally sit (which means I didn't get any of the candy that is thrown out as the politicians walk by). But I was impressed that a number of them actually walked up to me on the stoop, shook hands and gave me their campaign materials - I guess the crutches had an effect on them.

Isn't it great to live in a small town?

13 comments:

  1. Well, I would hardly consider it a small town. I'm sad I missed it, I love that parade. Apparently, so did lots of other people, judging my the lack of onlookers. Why did they have it in the middle of the week anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have changed the date of the post - I started this on Saturday, when the actual parade happened. I just finished uploading the pictures today. There were a lot of people viewing the parade, I just didn't get them in the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like fun, see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks fun! Everything looks so pretty and green.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I miss the Hyattsville parade! Calista loved it too. We had a great view from our apartment building but since it was the start they never threw out candy there- who knew??

    ReplyDelete
  6. I missed it agian this year since I had to work. Looks like a good parade. Glad you got to enjoy and take pictures of it. Maybe next year I will be able to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so awesome that it goes right by your house! Oh, I miss all that beautiful green!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How neat to be able to sit on your front porch and watch a parade!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went to the Berwyn Heights Day Parade last week and could have been in the Laurel Main Street Parade yesterday. I love having all these small towns in the middle of the suburbs. It has been a beautiful spring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm impressed that Northwestern's band is looking so sharp.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh the memories these pics bring back! Cant wait to be out there in the green again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi helen, I just wanted to stop in and say thank you for your advice on visiting Italy. I can see that we both know Denise and that is all I need to know about you to make us friends! :) I will post some pictures when we return! I am so excited! I will keep you posted. I am going to look into your friends touring business...thanks again!!! Megan

    ReplyDelete
  13. I miss the good ol' Hyattsville parade, but not as much as I miss you!

    ReplyDelete