Friday, October 22, 2010

Politics, Politics, Politics

May I just say that I can't wait for the mid-term elections to be over. When November 2nd comes, I'll be celebrating. I am so sick and tired of all the campaign ads (negative as usual). Living in the DC area, you have to listen very carefully to what is being said in order to try to figure out the message. Details on the former governor of MD about what happened during the time he's been away from office (of course, the details don't tell you everything so one could assume all the negative items being thrown at him are true). The former governor doesn't respond to the accusations but has his own negative ads for the current governor (although not nearly as negative as his opponent). During the morning, between 7:00-8:00 a.m., you can see a constant barrage of ads on TV from both candidates. Then we see the ads from other areas of the country - just as bad and negative as you would suspect. Wouldn't it be nice to see a campaign that emphasizes the positive things a candidate has done and let the public decide for themselves?

And I will get political myself - as President Obama flies across the country to campaign for fellow Democrats who are in danger of losing their seats in the Congress, it seems that his message is that only Democrats are concerned about the nation in general. I'm quite sure that there are fellow Republicans and Independents who are concerned about the nation as well. These democratic candidates wouldn't need to be so concerned for their jobs if they had listened to their constituents and voted differently on certain key pieces of legislation. It seems to be that the country as a whole is sick and tired of what's happening and has decided to be more vocal about it. Although not an official political party - the Tea Party is making an impact across the land (and I don't believe this is a group of radical citizens who are voicing their opinions - it seems to me that they are average Americans who want their voices heard and are willing to congregate together to make those voices heard).

So, we only have 10 more days to listen to the negativism of the campaigns. I will take advantage of the opportunity to vote early (as we have that option in our state now). And I will look forward to November 3rd and the sounds of holiday music for the upcoming Christmas season (I'm sure the decorations are already in place at the malls and the music is already playing).

5 comments:

  1. We have the same thing in the gov. race here. I have no idea who to vote for. I'll have to do some research because the ads tell me nothing, but then again, in the debates I'm pretty sure there was blatant lying, so who the heck knows. (I know that was a major run on sentence, btw.)

    As for Obama, I think that his speaches of late have been sub par and are antagonistic to the republicans. We need to work together and he hasn't been preaching that of late. I do think that the reason the dems are in trouble has more to do with a dem pres. being in office when the country is in dire straights. the pres has passed some wonderful things and I think most americans are happy with those things. on the other hand, most americans are not happy with what hasn't happened on the job front. this is not obama's doing, it was there before he was elected.

    the media continues to bash everything that he does and then the american public jumps on... let's not forget that ronald regan had the same poll numbers as obama does during the last recession...a republican who is revered today.

    it would be nice to have a congress who would be able to work together to pass things...if all the rep take over, we are back to years of nothing getting done because no one seems to be able to practice what the preach...bi partisanship.

    all of this is mute and whining unless I plan to get up and run for something. so instead of giving them one ounce of my energy, I choose to go about my life and work on issues that will be on the ballot that hit closer to home...

    mainly encouraging others to reverse the impending library closure...people are just very selfish with their money...not that that is wrong, but you can't have a nice community with nice services if you don't pay for them. we may get to the point that lucky ones will be at home using our computers and reading books that we can afford to buy. so far the majority of people here are happy with that. they don't think (or don't care) about the little guy who needs the library to do all the things we take for granted. We'll see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sick of all the negativity also. I agree that any leaders during an economy like this one are going to put off most of the public. I agree with you Denise about the library thing. I think free public education and access to libraries are cornerstones to our society and are two of the things that give us the social mobility that too many people take for granted. Cutting education and libraries are scary propositions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come and live in Utah Helen. I don't miss that DC Political crap at all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's over for now. I guess it is time for me to take down the sign in my front yard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was kind of nice not to have TV and internet during election time :) I get politically overwhelmed sometimes too... especially when it is driven by negativity.

    ReplyDelete